Sunday, February 1, 2009

Weaning is a Hard Process

As you'd probably figure, Ja is not happy about being weaned. The first day she asked for goongoons (her word for nursing) several times each hour and was very upset most of the day. Poor little sweetheart. The second day she was quite a bit better. Today is the third day and she started off asking a lot, but hasn't mentioned them again in a few hours.

Fortunately, I've had good luck getting her to bed these last few nights. The first and second nights she fell asleep in my arms. Last night she fell asleep on the couch while watching The Batman cartoon show. I left her on the couch and dozed on the loveseat until she woke and started crying. Then I carried her up to mine and M.'s bed. To ease the weaning process I've decided that I can nurse her a bit late at night, after the medicine has worn off. It's a 12 hour maximum medicine. Last night she really didn't stay latched very long, I guess my supply is already dropping. Breastmilk supply is based on demand, and since the demand is now very low my milk is not as plentiful as it once was.

I think things will start getting better in the next few days. This really was a bad time for me to go on medicine, since Ja is teaching herself to use the potty right now, too. Lots of changes for such a little princess. Even so, I'm optimistic that she'll move on in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment